Udaipur has a number of Bawadis (man-made water reservoirs) which used to be one of the most important sources of water for hundreds of years. Though many of the bawadis came to end due to lack of maintenance and other such reasons, still some of them are supplying water to locals of Udaipur by mechanically linked to ground water.
One such, nearly 300 years old ‘Maa ji ki Bawadi’ at Jagdish Chowk area which was left abandoned from the last 40 years is now again taking shape after the initiative by local residents of Jagdish Chowk. The cleaning and renovation of this historical bawadi is taken care by Jagdish Mandir Seva Samiti with the help of Udaipur Municipal Council.
According to one local resident, Ganpat Lal Tamboli the 70 feet deep Bawadi was in a very bad condition and the outlet of the water was also blocked from more than 35 years.The cleaning work of the bawadi started 14 days back and after clean-up the residents of nearby areas including Mehttao ka Timba and adjacent areas in the slope will be benefited by it. Municipal Council Chairman, Rajni Dangi also visited the site and assured the people for all possible help and appreciated the initiative taken by the members of the Samiti. According to the locals, one of the most common historical facts attached to this bawadi is that wife of Maharana Swaroop Singh ordered to construct this bawadi to present it as a tribute to Maharana. It is said that the bawadi was constructed in the year 1730.